Gateway Page

Bruce Blanchard's 
Family History
Scrapbook

Contact us
(via Gateway Page) 

Scrapbook Index

Names index

Blanchard Home Page Last updated 28 February 2007 Click on BACK arrow 
to return to calling page

William Blanchard ... Career notes  

 
Businesses

1850  Albion Pub and Eating House 5/7 Beak Street

1853  Guinea public house 21 North Bruton Mews Mayfair.

1862  Blanchard's Restaurant (Frederick and his son
           Joseph became manager and assistant manager by 1881).

1864  The White Horse (re-named Burlington Restaurant in 1865) , New Burlington Street
           (adj to Burlington Arcade).
           
          169 Regents Street, shop with flats above.

           Nb.  BLANCHARD & CO, WINE MERCHANTS, 
           169 REGENT STREET, W (telephone 5087 Gerrard). 
           (1900 and 1902 Directory). (Offices above?  Photo of 1898 shows shop as American Shoe Co)  

1865  The Burlington Restaurant 1A New Burlington St W (PO Directory)
         The Scotch Stores 5&7 Beak St (PO Directory)

1870  Listed in PO Directory as Wine, Cigars and Restaurant 5-7 Beak St, 169 Regent's St, 4 Hanover Sq.
1875  Ditto

1881  4 Hanover Square, Hotel and Gentlemen's club.

1892  PO Directory  Wines, cigars, restaurant 1-7 Beak St Regent's St.

1900 Kelly's Directory (8 years after death) Blanchard and Co Wine Merchants: 169 Regent's St, 158 Regent's St, 1-13 Beak St.

Ownership of Restaurant after 1892:

1898 - 1957 Tenants of Beak St Restaurant site: London Catering Company (PRO ref: CRES 65/12-28)
1902  158 Regent's St sold to enable enlargement of passage to Restaurant.
1912  80 year lease granted to owners of building (Robinson and Cleaver)
1913  Restaurant wasn't paying, tenant of Messrs Blanchards Ltd Beak St sought to turn restaurant into club.
1923  The name Blanchard's was given to the Club.  (bit more work needed here!)

 

High Street Hampton 1894/6
Grove Hill Cottage London Road Hampton Hill (X)
William Blanchard's address in the 1881 and 1891 censuses
London Road became High Street and the houses were numbered around 1911.
The house was demolished around 1960.
Ellen Blanchard continued to live there and re-married to become Ellen Groome in 1894.
She was living there as a widow in the 1901 census.