Gateway Page

Bruce Blanchard's 
Family History
Scrapbook

e-mail to Bruce Blanchard
(via Gateway Page) 

Scrapbook Index

Names index

Blanchard Home Page Last updated 28 February 2007 Click on BACK arrow 
to return to calling page

Latton

 
LATTON is a village and parish on the River Churn and the Thames and Severn canal, at its junction with the North Wilts canal, 1 miles north-west from Cricklade station, on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, in the Northern division of the county, Highworth hundred, Cricklade petty sessional division, union of Cricklade and Wootton Bassett, rural deanery of Cricklade, archdeaconry of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.  The church of St. John the Baptist is a Norman structure of stone with additions in later styles; it consists of modern chancel,  nave with very fine oak or teak roof, and transepts, south porch, having Norman doorway with chevron ornament, and embattled western tower, containing 5 bells: in the choir and at the west end and under the tower are fine Norman arches: the tower is a very good specimen of Norman architecture: in the nave are several memorial windows to members of the Beadon family, and on the south side of the chancel are two memorial windows to the members of the Habgood family: there are 220 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1576.  The living is a vicarage , with that of Eisey annexed, joint gross yearly value 230, net 200, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of St. Germans, and 

 held since 1891 by the Rev. William Philpot Anderson B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge.  The charities are 11 yearly, derived from rent of land, which is yearly divided among the poor who are not in receipt of parochial relief.  In straightening the watercourse a few years ago a Roman road was discovered, with tesselated pavements, a coffin, and a number of Roman coins.  On the Cirencester road is an ancient stone cross.  Earl of St. Germans is lord of the manor and sole landowner.  The soil is clay and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots.  The area is 1,786 acres of land and 33 of water; rateable value, 2,084; the population in 1891 was 218.

West Fields is   three-quarters of a mile north-west.
Parish Clerk, John Compton.
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 7.20 p.m.; Sunday, 9.30 a.m.  Letters through Cricklade, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7 a.m.
National Schools (mixed), rebuilt 1873, for 100 children;
average attendance, 65; Edward Challis, master.

 

Anderson Rev. William  Philpot B.A. (vicar)
Beadon Miss, The Corner
Habgood Joseph, Mill house
Lane Miss, Croft  house
Smith Miss, The Limes
COMMERCIAL.
Challis Edward, assistant overseer
Hewer Francis, coal merchant
Howse Jn.frmr.Street & Westfield fms
Howse Sarah (Miss), farmer
Keylock George, farmer, Court farm
Keylock James, baker
Keylock James, shopkeeper
Mabbatt Robert, blacksmith
Messenger Edward, boot maker 
Radway Charles, farmer
Roseblade John, mason & shopkeeper
Roseblade William, mason
Extract from Commercial Directory Entry for Latton
 

St John's Church Latton

John Bartlett's Gravestone 
(next to  road on RHS of picture)

Schoolhouse

Inside St John's Church

Old Bakehouse

Old Houses